Updated: May 7, 2020
Immunity is the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.
The older you grow the slower your immune system responds to diseases and sickness.
It is always advised that while aging there are certain procedures that need to be followed so the elderly can increase or boost their immune system. The healthier an elderly is, the less risk of getting sick.
The following 8 tips will help the elderly boost their immune system
1. Do not smoke. This weakens the immune system
2. Eat well. Eat healthy and nutritious food to keep your immune system strong. For seniors, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics specifically recommends a protein-rich diet that also focuses on vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as zinc, folate, selenium, and prebiotics and probiotics to help protect your immune system. Talk to your doctor about whether you should take any additional vitamin or mineral supplements.
3. A good sleep is also required.
Research clearly shows that too little sleep or poor-quality sleep lowers immunity, even in young healthy people,” says Gisele Wolf-Klein, MD.
You should be getting at least 7 hours a night.
Insomnia is a common sleep disorder among older adults. If lifestyle changes, such as staying physically active, keeping a regular sleep schedule, and limiting caffeine don’t help, your loved one may need to seek medical help.
4. Reduce stress. When you’re constantly worried about something, it takes a toll on your body which eventually minimize your immune system.
5. Exercise frequently. Moderate exercise helps keep you fit, which makes your immune system stronger.
6. Minimize alcohol intake. Not only does drinking too much alcohol limit immunity boosting nutrients in your body, but it also lowers your white blood cell’s ability to kill germs.
7. Do not stay close to sick people especially when you know your immunity level is low.
8. Take your Vaccines. Always check with your doctor to make sure you are updated on your vaccination which will help you fight certain sicknesses.
Image 1 source: www.nutraingredients.com
Image 2 source: www.nutraingredients.com